A live adaptation of the 1995 Japanese anime with the same titular name. A robotically enhanced crash victim must find her past to discover her real purpose.
Ghost In The Shell definitely lifts its pride on its stunning visuals, however, the live adaptation decided to settle to a more predictable, less thought-provoking and seemed to have been inspired to do a female version of Robocop turned Jason Bourne.
What’s not good about the film?
This newest adaptation doesn’t live up to the thrill and the life-dwelling-intelligence of its predecessor and to be honest, take the CGI away, the movie is nothing but dullness, and I can feel the urge of sleeping while watching it. I even hated the alley chase, which for me seemed lifeless compared to the excitement that the anime provided. The movie is so disappointing that the makers decided to go the easy way, leaving the main idea behind, for something too easy to grasp, while neglecting the need of the audiences, and fans alike, for something provocative and an edgy story.
What’s good about the film?
The principal performance coming from S.Johansson is good, no doubt about it, and I don’t really want to endulge in this white-washing controversy, as long as they can deliver then I’m good, if the makers decided to have an asian lead but having the same story, then it’ll end up having negative results still.
Kudos for the movie having a great deal when it comes to its visual effects, tying it directly from the source material, just hoping that they also based the story from it, but what we have is otherwise.
Director: Rupert Sanders (Snow White And The Huntsman : 2012)
Main Cast: Scarlett Johansson ; Pilou Asbæk ; Takeshi Kitano ; Juliette Binoche ; Michael Pitt
Genre: Action ; Science Fiction ; Thriller
Release Year: 2017
- The Major’s name in the film is Mira Killian, to align to its western appearance, but, it was revealed at the later part that her real name is Motoko Kusanagi, which is the name in the anime.
- This is Rila Fukushima’s 4th comic-book feature.
- The Japanese dub of the film had some actors of Ghost In The Shell (1995) to reprise their voice roles: Atsuko Tanaka (Major), Akio Otsuka (Batou), Koichi Yamadera (Togusa).
- The opening ang explosion of the geishas’ head were going done mechanically and not by CGI.
- In one of the city scene a Pan Am ad can be seen at the top left, which is a reference to Blade Runner (1982) which shows the same ad.
- The apartment building that Major visited named Avalon Apartment which is a nod to Mamoru Oshii’s Avalon (2001).
- Scarlett Johansson worked on this film the same time as she works for Captain America : Civil War (2016) and Avengers : Age Of Ultron (2018).
- Batou is shown bonding with a Basset Hound which is a nod to Ghost In The Shell : Innocence (2004).
- The Thermosuit is made up of silicon.
- The line Major said: “you are not defined by your past but by your actions” is a nod to the similar line said in Total Recall (1990).
- Mamoru Oshii, the director of the original Ghost In The Shell defended S.Johansson with regards to the white-washing controversy.