A wealthy art gallery owner is being haunted by her ex-husband’s novel which she thinks served as her husband’s revenge on her.
You can’t just walk away from things all the time.
Ford showcased his ambition in this gripping neo-noir thriller, plus its brilliant actors, Nocturnal Animals has its own animalistic nature in terms of being a compelling and stylish thriller-drama.
Susan, enjoy the absurdity of our world. It’s a lot less painful. Believe me, our world is a lot less painful than the real world.
We all know that Amy Adams is the star of the film and she’s definitely sexy and gorgeous and somehow slayed every outfit, but Aaron Taylor-Johnson definitely carried his character well, we know he can be badass in Kick-Ass (2010 / 2013) but he can also be a total bad guy, let’s just forget about his Quicksilver role in Avengers: Age Of Ultron (2015), c’mon where do you see a speedster getting hit by a bullet?
Director Tom Ford is also a fashion designer, and that aspect of his life is very apparent in his film, the zealouslyness when it comes to beauty and style, where he uses his actors as his living mannequins with taste.
I think that to be really really good you have to come from some place inside that I’m just not sure I have.
But it doesn’t just end there, as the outer features only served as a basis for the story, y’see that the idea of materialism is what its primary character has been living into. Susan Morrow (Amy Adams) affection to beauty is what destroys her loyalty and love by choosing a different path following her materialistic desires.
Susan’s current marriage is beginning to crumble with her cheating husband Hutton Morrow (Armie Hammer), she then received a unpublished novel from her ex-husband Edward Shefield (Jake Gyllenhaal) with an invitation for dinner, Susan envision the book as another reality where she and Edward are the protagonists, however, as the story goes dark she then remembered her life with Edward until she decided to end their relationship in exchange for a different life, and when she went to the agreed dinner to meet her ex and for a possible reconciliation, this is where her biggest realization occured.
Nocturnal Animals is a sharp, well-acted, beautifully written thriller drama which makes the lesson of loyalty a high-end cut.
Director: Tom Ford (A Single Man: 2009)
Main Cast: Amy Adams ; Jake Gyllenhaal ; Aaron Taylor-Johnson ; Armie Hammer ; Isla Fisher
Genre: Drama ; Thriller
Release Year: 2016
- Director Ford established in interview that the ending can go both ways depending on the viewer, either Edward still love her or he just want to send put his revenge on her.
- Director Ford personally designed Aaron Johnson’s facial hair.
- Second film written and directed by fashion designer Tom Ford.
- George Clooney originaly signed up as a producer but he backed out.
- Amy Adams, Michael Shannon and Jena Malone all appeared in the DC Extended Universe: Man Of Steel (2013) and Dawn Of Justice: Ultimate Edition (2016).
- Not a single Tom Ford product were featured in the film.
- Ford didn’t even act as a costume designer for this film.
- Laura Linney replaced Kim Basinger.