The story of, WWII American Army Medic Desmond Doss, the first American to receive a Medal Of Honor without firing a single shot.
In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons.
Impressive performances all around and Andrew Garfield is surprisingly very effective and who the hell ever saw Spider-Man suiting up as an army medic carrying wounded soldiers overnight?.
I don’t know how I’m going to live with myself if I don’t stay true to what I believe.
Hacksaw Ridge‘s detailed gruesomeness brought the added heaviness in its story, you’ll see the bombs producing a destructive force and flying legs comes with it and bullets penetrating into the skin to the flesh of its victims.
Most of these men don’t believe the same way you do, but they believe so much in how much you believe.
This is Mel Gibson’s first movie to direct after a some sort of hiatus in movie directing after Apocalypto (2006), Hacksaw Ridge is indeed his comeback film and he definitely earned a lot of respect again. Gibson has a thing with gore, his The Passion Of The Christ (2004) also dealt with a lot of blood and pain, same thing we saw in Hacksaw Ridge, both were great films in its respected area, so I think, gore is what his signature style should be ’cause he’s good at it.
The movie is a decent retelling of one of the most heartfelt and incredible stories during the WWII, the part I’m looking forward to see is Doss saying these words: “Please Lord, help me get one more. Help me get one more.” and God! That was my favorite slice of the film.
Director: Mel Gibson (The Passion Of The Christ: 2004 ; Braveheart: 1995)
Main Cast: Andrew Garfield ; Teresa Palmer ; Sam Worthington ; Hugo Weaving ; Vince Vaughn
Genre: Biopic ; History ; Drama ; Action
Release Year: 2016 / 2017
- There are other true stories that were not included because Gibsom says the audience won’t believe its true. (Proceed to the next trivia.)
- Doss didn’t get injured at the daylight assault in Hacksaw Ridge, he got wounded weeks after at the night assault at the Okinawa Campaign after getting hit by grenade shrapnels, had to wait 5 hours for the medic to carry him. And while being carried into safety they were attacked by a tank, he then crawled off his stretcher to help a seriously injured soldier and insisted to have him carried first and then they should just come back for him. While waiting, he was shot by a sniper while he’s being carried by another soldier, which caused a fracture on his arm, he then improvised a splint using a rifle stock, then crawled 300 yards more to an Aid Station to be treated.
- Second collaboration between Teresa Palmer and Luke Bracey since Point Break (2015).
- To make the battle scenes more realistic, Gibson purchased two fifteen hundred dollar hand held cameras using his own money.
- Book Of Isaiah; Chapter 40 is the bible passage narrated by Doss at the beginning of the film.
- Battle scenes took 19 days to shoot.
- The film had 14 year path from idea to production.
- Received a 9 minutes 48 seconds standing ovation at the Venice Film Festival, September 2016, Gibson timed it himself.