As Callum Lynch was pronounced dead, he was then introduced to a device dedicated for tracing origins of every individual only for him to find out that he is a descendant of a secret assassin’s society.
“We work in the dark to serve the light. We are assassins.”
“Mankind seems intent on destroying itself.”
Serious. Stylish. A grandeur of visuals and jaw dropping parkour stunts, but that’s just about it, as the movie, despite of its promising cast, failed to balance the amount of grittiness to such enthusiasm.
The stellar cast seemed auspicious, no doubt they were all good actors, but their efforts are all thrown away by its dull scriptwriting and if you already saw Macbeth (2015), which also stars Fassbender and Cotillard, you could actually see potential for another epic tandem.
“Now I am become Death, the destroyerof worlds.”
Although 50 percent of the film are a bit confusing, in which you’ll get caught up of the amazing fight scenes but once the conversation resumes you’ll have to think of what happened before that, which in a way that the disadvantages of the film when in comes to story telling are being settled by its decent action pieces.
The movie itself makes more sense the second time you’ll watch it however with its sobersided theme and dull representation makes it less interesting.
“We eat our food, take our pills and wait to die.”
Director: Justin Kurzel (Macbeth 2015 ; The Snowtown 2011)
Main Cast: Michael Fassbender ; Marion Cotillard ; Jeremy Irons ; Ariane Labed
Genre: Sci-Fi ; Adventure ; Action ; Fantasy
Release Year: 2016 / 2017
- Fassbender and Labed did 95% of their fight scenes by themselves.
- The Assassins costumes were all hand-crafted and took about 2-3 months to complete.
- The film features the highest free fall made by a stuntman for 35 years, 125 feet in height and took 61 mph for impact speed.
- 80% of the film were not CGI based, which means that the stunts, extras and locations are all real.
- Director Kurzel was inspired to take on the “what it is to be human” concept rather than making the characters a superhero like.
- Cotillard’s character verbalized a quote by saying “Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds“, a line from the Hindu scripture Bhagavad Dita, which could be referenced to J. Robert Oppenheimer to describe his feelings after creating the Atomic Bomb.
- The weapons used at the near finale can be referenced to the game series namely: Rope Dart and Boot Hidden Blade to Shao Jun from Assassin’s Creed China ; Schianova sword or cutlass from Assassin’s Creed Unity ; Poison Bombs to Jean-Baptiste of Assassin’s Creed Liberation.